Steels Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Players

+5
Admin
Kenny everate
Gward
Finchley Tiger
Tim Burr
9 posters

Go down

New Players Empty New Players

Post  Tim Burr Mon May 10, 2010 12:43 am

Very quiet on here so how about a thread on new players you would like to see in a Steels shirt next season.

Mine would be the lad who used to play for Carlton Town and then moved to Retford, I think his name is Marquis Smith played in centre midfield.

Any thoughts?

Tim Burr
Under 18
Under 18

Back to top Go down

New Players Empty Re: New Players

Post  Finchley Tiger Mon May 10, 2010 6:24 am

Can't have him! I want him at Worksop!! Very Happy

Arguably the best performance I saw this season was by Marquin Smith playing for Retford at Hucknall. He ran the midfield that day. I never saw him have a bad game this season. Thankfully, he signed for Retford from Carlton after we had played them twice so he never had the chance to dominate us!!

With Retford's financial problems, manager leaving, etc. and the former Carlton manager, Terry Brookbanks, taking over at Hucknall I did wonder if Smith would go there IF he was to leave Retford? I suppose more will become known in the next few days/weeks as tonight is Duffield's last game in charge of Retford and the squad is expected to break up after tonight's Notts Senior Cup final. Much may depend on who Retford's new manager is?

On our forum I started a thread selecting the best opposition player to play against Worksop. Despite not playing against us I mentioned Smith; the other player I mentioned was ex-Tiger Ross Hannah.

Would love to see both Marquin Smith & Ross Hannah in a Tigers shirt!!

Finchley Tiger
Reserve Squad
Reserve Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Burr Mon May 10, 2010 7:44 am

By the sounds of it you are rumoured to be throwing the cash around again, apparently offered Ross Hannah silly money to join you if stories are to be believed.

I wonder how long it will last this time?

Tim Burr
Under 18
Under 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Finchley Tiger Mon May 10, 2010 8:31 am

We do have a new owner who has officially taken over in the last couple of weeks. How long will it last? Good question!

How long he stays may well depend on how quickly we can get a new ground in Worksop, in order to help us become more self sufficient. Obviously, the new owner will not fund us indefinitely in exile. There is an appeal due to be heard this summer regarding the "Vesuvius Site" development which is planned to include a new ground for us. Fingers crossed the decision to turn down the planning permission will be overturned.

What I do know though is that in all likelihood we would have folded and had to reform lower down the pyramid if he had not come in. Travelling 35 miles or more each way just to go to a home match not only knocked 150-200 off our gates (maybe more) we have no match sponsors, bar/food takings etc. on matchdays were not ours. We could not have survived any longer. Therefore, in the short term as far as I am aware he has saved the club and for that we are extremely grateful. For our long term future it goes without saying the quicker we are back in Worksop the better.

I've seen the rumours about us offering silly money to Ross Hannah on the Matlock and Chesterfield forums, how true it is I have no idea. Possibly "no smoke without fire"?

Finchley Tiger
Reserve Squad
Reserve Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Gward Thu May 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Got a very player from sheffield fc wont name it until we proplysigned him but it not cusworth if people think it him
Gward
Gward
First Team Sub
First Team Sub

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Burr Tue May 25, 2010 5:32 am

It's on the Sheffield FC website that we have signed a lad called Steve Woolley. Anybody know what he's like?

Tim Burr
Under 18
Under 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny everate Tue May 25, 2010 5:41 am

Class. Sharp an got 2 great feet

Kenny everate
Trailist
Trailist

Back to top Go down

Post  Finchley Tiger Tue May 25, 2010 6:02 am

Tim Burr wrote:It's on the Sheffield FC website that we have signed a lad called Steve Woolley. Anybody know what he's like?

If it is the same Steve Woolley (I imagine it is) he played for us for a while, before going to Lincoln United. Think he also had a spell at Retford United.

Played on the right hand side of midfield/right wing, scored the odd goal for us. Fairly skilfull but I would say not the most physical of players. I know that Rinky sometimes left him on the bench if he thought it was going to be more of a "battle". He was playing in a struggling team so it might be difficult for me to give a true "picture" of him.

He gave us a bit of width and was far from the worst player we had during that period. Sometimes I got the impression Rinky wanted him to "tuck in" more into the midfield rather than stay out wide and attack the fullback (which a number of the fans thought was his best position at that time).

From what I saw of Callery last season and from what I remember of Woolley I would rather have Alex down the right hand side.

Hope that helps a little

PS just found this:

http://www.sheffieldfc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=409:steve-woolley-striker&catid=55:sheffield-fc-first-team&Itemid=104

Finchley Tiger
Reserve Squad
Reserve Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Burr Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 am

Kenny everate wrote:Class. Sharp an got 2 great feet

Looks like we've got another good wide player. I wonder if GM is thinking of playing Jamie Vardy as a striker next season?

Tim Burr
Under 18
Under 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 25, 2010 8:13 am

No one can be official signed until the begining of June when the new season begins and no players can be registered until after the leagues AGM on the 20th of June. But its obvious from the Sheffield website that he seems to be on his way here. So if its right welcome Steve.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://steelschat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Burr Tue May 25, 2010 8:18 am

Admin wrote:No one can be official signed until the begining of June when the new season begins and no players can be registered until after the leagues AGM on the 20th of June.

Now I'm confused, can they sign from June 1st or June 20th? scratch

Tim Burr
Under 18
Under 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 25, 2010 8:24 am

They can fill in and sign the league registration forms from the 1st which all but ties the player to the club but the league office that processes the forms dosen't open until after the AGM on the 20th
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://steelschat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gward Tue May 25, 2010 9:30 am

Wooley can play left right centre midfield and his a class player welcome to the club
Gward
Gward
First Team Sub
First Team Sub

Back to top Go down

Post  David Bradley Wed May 26, 2010 12:16 am

I think its just what we need a width player, a player who is different to what we have at the club, it will give GM more options on changing the game if we are struggling or chasing a game, something we lacked most of the season. A much needed squad addidtion.
David Bradley
David Bradley
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post  GM Sat May 29, 2010 12:58 am

Just to confirm I have agreed terms with 6 new players however we can't officially sign them until Tuesday 1st June.

As soon as they have put pen to paper I'm sure the main website will keep everyone updated.

GM
Under 18
Under 18

Back to top Go down

New Players Empty .

Post  Gward Mon May 31, 2010 12:27 pm

I know 1 player who is coming but wont say the name i will just say defender and its not davies if ppl thought that
Gward
Gward
First Team Sub
First Team Sub

Back to top Go down

Post  steveylongold Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:12 am

What do we think to the new signings, now we have had chance to see them? And has GM finalised his squad or are you still looking to add to it?

On a personal note the 4 that stand out for me are Ludlam, Wooley, Leonard & Muldoon.

Ludlam - great energy and adds a bit of pace to the back line, good in the air and very committed.

Wooley - he seems to glide pass players with ease and can put some quality balls in the box, really impressed me.

Leonard - big, strong, box to box player who is good in the air, just the sort of player we have needed for a while in the middle.

Muldoon - looked fantastic pre season, pace, power, and can finish, just needs a goal to boost his confidence now the season has kicked off.

All in all really impressed with the players GM has brought in, I think it's the best squad we have had in a long time.

steveylongold
Under 18
Under 18

Back to top Go down

New Players Empty new players

Post  yorkie1 Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Im sure once Longstaff gets fit after his broken foot he will be one to watch as well

yorkie1
Trailist
Trailist

Back to top Go down

Post  David Bradley Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:37 am

I've been impressed with all the players GM as brought in. All the players mentioned before I've been impressed me. Just a couple others to add Kev Davies had his best game on Monday and Alvyn Riley as also looked good. The squad looks strong for later in the season and the team is still releatively new so I've got great expections for this club and squad.
David Bradley
David Bradley
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post  David Bradley Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:50 am

Just wondering if the new player would be Wayne Rooney I believe he's looking for another club. Sir Alex thinks he needs a reality check. lol!
David Bradley
David Bradley
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post  Gward Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:20 am

No we dont want rooney here cry baby rooney my dads calls him at the min, but im sure this lad will fit in our team,seen him in action or ready steels avnt we
Gward
Gward
First Team Sub
First Team Sub

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down